Shrinking of Dreams



We are all dreamers isn’t it. I don’t think anyone taught us how to dream. It was one thing that all of us knew right from the day we started sleeping. "Dreaming Big" was some thing which was of course taught by our parents & elders.

I used to read a lot about dreaming big, the power to think big, aim for the sky & setting your goals so high that you will be forced to take stern steps to achieve them. Dreaming big is the part that I guess we all do pretty efficiently. But when it comes to achieving them it’s a different story.

I used to dream big. But then I used to think that every person is ambitious, ambitious as in not somebody who has an ambition, but somebody who has dared to dream, the dream to look at the sky and say “I want to reach there someday”. But I learnt that’s not the case and was delighted that I was different from everyone else. As I grew up I realised that there was a different story that was about to be unfolded.

I had this huge dream of becoming the next ‘Vijay Mallya’, the next big entrepreneur before I stepped out onto this cruel outside world. After I started working I realised how sickening the daily routine of ‘serving your unkind boss’ is and how it can take it toll on not just ‘how you live’ but also on the ‘way you think’.

Dreams shrink. The do and they do big time. I had never heard of shrinking dreams before I actually learning it. The day-to-day schedule and the daily routine does a lot of harm than just frustration & stress. It shortens ones perspective and outlook of thinking about his future. The dreams you had as a child seem way too impossible to achieve and you end up saying “Well those were just dreams”. That’s the reason most of the people settle for a small car, 1 BHK home and two children and then keep serving their hostile boss for the rest of their lives. In short our life reduces to 654321, 6 figure salary, 5 bedroom apartment, 4 wheel drive, 3 servants, 2 children and 1 sweetheart.

Never in my life did I think that my way of thinking will shrink so drastically. I had started thinking on the lines of 654321 and was getting submerged in this quicksand of “Simple Thinking and simple living” and had somehow started believing that this is the future. After some real perseverance I got out of this mental block. I think it is important to break the shackles & to think differently if you want to achieve your dreams. It’s important to still believe in yourself and believe that this dream is possible someday. It’s important to broaden your perspective and look positively towards your goals, your future, and your dreams. If you think its possible, it is. Or else it’s just a dream, a dream which comes, shows you some happy movements and perishes in thin air.

As they say, “If it is to be, it is upto me.”

Comments

Anonymous said…
life is 2 big 2 think of 654321...technology.. but still its attempt
Amey Bhide said…
dude-san,

i really liked the last line 'if it is to be, it is upto me'. aptly put and now its a conviction that you have outgrown your age.

i remember your dreams that we have discussed during our chats over beer and fag in a jacuzzi, car drives, swapna safallya gate ...... it is now a question of time, efforts and clinching the rite opportunities to succedd in life. bottom line is aim for the stars and you will reach the roof ..... for you i would rephrase it as 'aim for the galaxy and you will reach the stars'

way to go for you buddy ... i still dream of you managing my portfolio down the line ... don't risk it, i am counting on you :)

don't lose focus, don't feel disheartened; every moment is worth learning from ....

what say ?
Shirls said…
It's definitely possible 2 make ur dreams become a reality..Everyone has a dream...sometimes two...or three...very few bother 2 attempt chasing them...Finding a way to achieve your goals and aspirations is a journey, an acheivement on its own. It takes GREAT determination,self -exploration, confidence n SUPER guts 2 go chase ur dreams...
No1 knos wat 2moro has in store for him...n wen a person lives life daily just to please other people, uncertainty magnifies itself...

It IS really difficult 2 do wat it takes 2 get wat u dream of...but wit da right amount of dedication n an ovedose of passion for ur dreams, it is DEFINITELY do-able...


And like Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband croon....
"And when you dream, dream big,
as big as the ocean blue...
Cause when you dream it might come true...
When you dream, dream big."

Dream on..!!!