The Contingency Plan

News-hour

I hurriedly pushed the double door open with both hands and entered the news room, scrambled for the switch board and turned on the lights. I was trembling, sweating uncharacteristically in a centralized air conditioned room on a chilly winter evening. Although I had entered this newsroom for the last 14 years and broadcasted ‘News-hour’ for the longest time in the channel’s and even the nation’s history in broadcasting, I never felt this level of anxiety before. It was difficult to assess what was overwhelming in the current situation, the nerves or the emotion.

Tonight was different, since the breaking news to be presented in news-hour would send shockwaves across political classes and the commoners across the nation. The truth has to be told to the world, I told myself as I mustered courage and went through the copy once again, making mental notes on key words and key messages I had to cover. I wished Prosenjit was here today. He would have been proud that his student had done everything in his might to let truth prevail. As I sat back into the uncomfortable ‘hot-seat’, the events of last week flashed in front of my eyes. The physical and psychological struggle to obtain information and evidence around this news was a gigantic effort which Prosenjit, Norman and I put in, despite threatening phone calls, politically-driven sabotage at the Channel office and destruction of information, evidences and the witnesses.  This horrible journey over the last week had claimed the life of Prosenjit, while Norman seemed to have disappeared from the face of the earth. I have to do it for them, there’s no way I could turn back now. I sat up on my news desk chair, looked up at the camera that I had setup and at then at my wristwatch.  The sound of the double door opening in distracted me, as Mr. Sharma, our CEO and majority shareholder, stormed into the newsroom without warning. I tried not to raise an eyebrow. “You should not be making this information public; you have seen the consequences already. Your friends are dead. My channel could be forced shut too! You know I have the right contacts to keep this business going, but I just had to warn you!” The cold, harsh voice said.

“Thank you for your kind advice, Mr. Sharma. I go on-air in the next twenty seconds, so unless you wish to co-host the show tonight, please leave.” Mr. Sharma gave a long hard stare. He then looked over my head, nodded and left the room silently.

I looked back into my watch, ten seconds to go live..nine..eight. My heart was pounding, this was the most sensational news I would ever broadcast. Nothing can stop this now..four..three..two…

..Thump! I felt my skull crack with the blow of what felt like an iron rod crashing into the back of my head. I could feel my body losing connection with my brain as I slumped down from my newsreader chair. I felt my hair and clothes soak in the warmth of my own blood within seconds. I could sense someone behind me leaving the room. Then, darkness.

 Deathbed

I woke up as if I had slept for years together. I felt pain in every part of my body. The sutures on my  head throbbed in sync with the metronome-like beeps of the ECG machine. Seemed like the doctors had done their best trying to keep me alive. I slowly started to feel my limbs, my face and my eyes.

I struggled to gather my thoughts - So he nodded to someone behind me, approving the hit!. The bed side calendar denoted that I was here for at least two days. I looked up at the clock on the wall, it was almost 7 pm. I wondered who would do the news-hour today, which would be going live about an hour from now.

What a week it was! - breathless, tiring, exhilarating and deadly. It all started with an informal discussion with leading producer, news writer and my mentor, Prosenjit over coffee. We were talking about the powerful saffron party (which he detested) ruling at the centre, their alliance with right-wing extremist groups and its influence on the ruling government, and of course the globetrotting prime minister. Prosenjit mentioned that one of the closest extremist groups had started a massive cadet recruitment drive on the eve of Republic Day. “I want to get into their skin and understand what they teach, how they think and what they want to really achieve through these drives”. “Let’s send one of our trainees as a cadet with a microphone and a camera. Trust me, there’d be some revelation for sure!” I said. Prosenjit liked the idea and asked one of his trainees, Norman to attend the drive.

Norman, armed with a pen camera and a small microphone, was excited as he set out for his first sting operation, and needless to say, cleared the selection process smoothly.

Norman informed Prosenjit that there were hundreds of cadets being assessed for a week of extensive training, which included defense and endurance training. A week passed by and Prosenjit was disappointed that the sting was not going as per plan. “There is no masala in it at all!” he said. Norman then placed a bug into the chief selection officer’s room and the results were instant. Norman understood that out of the hundred and fifty candidates assessed, fifty candidates will be selected and then taken to a training camp (the whereabouts of which were never disclosed), where they would be trained for another month.  He also realized that his group was one of the many groups being trained across India. Norman joined forty nine other candidates for the camp. None of them knew what was about to happen to them.

A day later, I was sitting in my office, taking large puffs of my cigarette as I stared through the window into the seemingly tiny world outside. Prosenjit ran into my room and said, “Call for two large Espressos. We’ve struck GOLD!” Over the next fifteen minutes, Prosenjit explained how those fifty candidates, now cadets were given extensive training on handling and mastering weapons, and making bombs!

“If you thought this was breaking news, you’ve gotta hear this. While these cadets were selected here in Mumbai, similar drives were held in Malegaon, Meerut, Ahmedabad, Muzaffarnagar, Jamshedpur, Faridabad, all of which are places with a history of communal violence. These cadets are lectured for two hours every day on the importance of Hinduism, the concept and the history of Hindu rashtra and why it’s important to put the Hindu back into ‘Hindusthan’. They convince them of the wrong Hindus have been done through historical subjugation of India by Muslims, how Muslim conquerors had raped Hindu women and destroyed places of worship. These ‘cadets’ are trainee suicide bombers who’re expected to blow up ‘anti-Hindu’ landmarks - mosques, churches, minority schools, colleges and community centres. There are around five hundred potential suicide bombers getting brain washed as we speak. We must do something about it, Subodh!”

Recovering from the shock, I asked, “How much footage do we have so far?” “The boy has shared a lot of audio clippings but he’s not able to get clear video footage with the pen camera. I have asked him to try through his cell phone. He should be able to send something by tonight”, Prosenjit explained. “Norman has done more than he could. We should get him out now, before he gets into trouble.” I said.  Prosenjit ignored my plea. The same evening, Norman sent us video footage, which captured glimpses of the hate lectures, bomb-making sessions and rifle shooting practice. “This is going to shock the whole of India. Although these bloody asses deserve much more than a press expose!” I said, unable to suppress my anger.

The next day, Norman informed us that they had named this radical movement ‘Hindu Rajya Sthapana Andolan’. The attacks were being planned immediately after the Bihar election results and that this movement had a huge financial backing from the centre. Norman informed us how the trainers gloated about the scale of this movement and the ruling party’s blessings for this operation. Prosenjit analyzed that the timing made sense because after these elections, most of the Indian states as well as the centre would be under the control of the ruling party, making them powerful enough to suppress, oppress and marginalize the minorities.

“We need to get Norman out of there, Prosenjit!” I demanded. “I had given him a choice to come back, but he insisted on staying. The training will be over soon, they’ll all be asked to disperse and would be given further instructions.” Prosenjit consoled.

On the last day of Norman’s training, a fellow trainee overheard him speaking to Prosenjit and promptly informed the chief trainer. Within two hours, Prosenjit was threatened that if he makes public any news in relation to the right wing organization, he will be a dead man. An hour later, our channel office was vandalized by the workers of an aggressive ally of the ruling party, lead by a local corporator. The party cited the reason for the attack as an offensive anti-Hindu post on social media by the channel. The media covered this round-the-clock but treated this as an isolated incident.

Meanwhile, Norman was untraceable. We couldn’t get through to his phone for more than 24 hours, after which Prosenjit decided to lodge a missing person’s complaint with the Police. He explained the background of the case to the Police officer, including how it was supposed to be a sting operation, which turned out to be much more than that. He also showed some of the videos taken by Norman to help the police identify the approximate location. However, most of the videos were taken indoors or on open grounds, which made it difficult to provide any substantial evidence. The officer, Vivek Bhosle, shocked by what he saw, assured Prosenjit of preliminary investigation and that they’d try to trace his phone. Prosenjit called me from his car as he drove home to give me an update. I could sense the guilt in his voice.  He told me that he had emailed something to me and wanted me to start working on writing the content around it.

Prosenjit got home, switched on the lights and poured himself a large whiskey. He heard the glass on his living room window crack with the impact of stones. People were attacking him! Just then, there were impatient and angry knocks at his door. Prosenjit hurriedly opened it and found the same goons who had earlier vandalized the channel office at the door. The head goon thundered, “Where are the videos?”, as he pushed Prosenjit, entered the room, snatched his mobile and pointed a gun between his eyebrows. The other goons ransacked the house as they frantically searched for any media devices and took his laptop, pen drives, portable hard disks, and the CPU of his PC.  “You have one minute to tell me where the evidence is stored, if you want to live.” Prosenjit was sweating profusely and was unable to speak for a few moments. “All the data is stored in the red pen drive”, he managed when the voice supported him. The head goon handed over Prosenjit’s mobile phone to his accomplice and asked Prosenjit, “Who else knew about this operation?”

The next morning, the police carried out an investigation of the death scene. The police, after a post-mortem of Prosenjit’s body announced that it was a case of ‘accidental death’ and quickly closed the file.

As I drove to work the next morning, I knew I was going to be next. I knew if there was something to be done about this, it had to be today.  Mr. Sharma asked me into his office immediately as I walked in, to probe about the sting operation. I knew he was extremely well connected and had deep political relationships, especially with the ruling party. Hence getting information was not a problem for him. He jumped straight to the point, “You are dealing with extremely dangerous people. I am running a business here, not a detective agency.  Prosenjit is dead, Norman is missing. Let us end this over here; I cannot take any more damage”.  “Sir, there’s no evidence left. They’ve destroyed everything, including the man himself. There is nothing that I can do, even if I want to”, I explained plainly. Mr. Sharma did not appear convinced, but allowed me to get back to work.

Countdown 
My train of thought was brought to a sudden halt as I saw Mr. Sharma in my hospital room. He was still dressed in his office suit and the black dial of his Rolex Oyster displayed seven fifty eight. He did not seem pleased to see me alive, but still managed to fake concern. “You’re very lucky to be alive, the doctors tell me, but the question is ‘Are you going to survive’?” As he spoke, he moved to the side of my bed, removed the IV tube and took off my oxygen mask. “See you in hell!”  he muttered as he stepped back. I observed him carefully as he walked to the door. I knew that time was running out but suppressed the urge to check my watch. I took a deep breath and started counting in reverse under my breath. "Ten, nine, eight, seven...one, zero." It was eight o’clock. I smiled for the first time in weeks, feeling relieved, happy and victorious. An auto email to all news channels, PTI, newspapers as well as the President of India, which I had set three days ago for tonight had just left my inbox,. This email contained a detailed report of the sting and the revelation of the secret operation of the right wing organization, I had packaged the entire content together from the email that Prosenjit had shared and recorded a video with my narration to reveal the full story. As always, my obsession with creating a Plan B had worked!

I smiled, elated with my final victory, before the ECG graph turned into a straight line.


Comments